Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 23, 2003, 3:03 AM   #1
Default Additional software for Powershot A70

Hi All!

It seems to be obvious that cameras like A70 can be used like webcams, move detectors, etc. I've searched the Internet, but couldn't find any software using these camera potentials, except for a couple of simple plugins for the Total Commander and Far manager. Is anyone aware of existence of such a software or of any materials that would be helpful in creating it? Thanks!
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2003, 8:51 AM   #2

Here's a copy of a reply I've posted before about this topic:

I believe there's a way to do it if your video card has AV inputs on it but, I know that it's really not recommeded.

If you want to do video coferencing, why not just buy a cheapo $40-$50 USB webcam. A The CCD on your A70 isn't meat to be on all the time and, by using it as a webcam, you can signifigantly shorten it's life.

Do a search for " A70 webcam" in the forum and, I'm sure you'll see similar answers.

mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 7:22 AM   #3

I have an ordinary webcam, so it's not for regular use. I just thought it would be nice to be able to use it from my friends' computers - I don't walk around with the webcam, but the digital camera is almost always with me. Plus, the cheap webcams don't provide that quality. With the A70 it's obviously possible to do through the USB port, because the RemoteCapture program can show the realtime view from the camera, so it seems to be only the matter of an appropriate software. I've just figured out that Canon Inc. provides SDK for developing software solutions for their products, so I'll try with this one, although they don't seem to give it out just to anyone.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote