Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:18 PM   #1

I have used my new SX10IS for a few photo sessions in school classes and one outside on the school play ground. My old camera was a G3 which always served me well, but it got more and more on my nerves because of it's slowness and poor results in bad lightning conditions. (I hate flash and it's distracting in a school class).
I love the SX10IS's zooming capacities and it's swivel screen. It's bigger than tne G3, so it serves me even better. I make lot's of pics with my arms stretched above my head, from the waist or even from the side if I can't walk further. Every camera should have a swivel screen... The face recognition is fantastic! Really unbelievable, this technology. I never even considered it when I choose this camera. I thought face recognition was just a gimmick, but it turns out to be a great help when you need to concentrate on framing, facial expression and interaction between persons.
The design of the camera is terribly cliché. It looks like any camera could, it lacks any personality, unlike for instance my old G3. What is worse: it is so rounded off and the materials are so smooth, that it tends to slip out of your hand. (I have quite big hands) And if you change camera position a lot -like I do- you inadvertendly push the display button and the close-up button al the time. The controller wheel feels very flimsy and the very small function button hardly gives any response. You will push one of the four others on the same wheel inadvertendly a lot. The wheel itself is so small that you have trouble turning it and if it does finally turn, it responses slowly or not at all. This is all very unlike Canon. At least my G3 and A610 are not like that! The front of the lense lacks screw thread, so officially Canon makes it impossible for you to mount filters. I don't want to damage or even touch the lens, so I want to use a UV-filter! I managed to fix a (old) Marumi 52 mm which fits very well, although not completely screwed on.
The downloadsoftware 'CameraWindow DC' is dead slow, I have the impression it's much slower than it's predecessor. It looks like it's shoddy software for Mac; you can't even click it away while it's transferring images.
Tonverhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links