Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:09 PM   #1

I'm pretty new to this and just sold my A710 IS in hopes of getting somthing better. I was sort of looking at the SX110 IS and was looking at the specs and it says that the CCD on the 110 is 1 /2.3 (which means nothing to me)

So I went back and looked up the specs for the A710 and it shows a 1/2.5 CCD.

So which on is better and why? Is a larger CCD always better???:?

BTW does anyone know if the Sx110 can be zoomed what doing a movie? Also does it have the annoying space ship noise when shooting a movie in a quiet room?

escorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:07 AM   #2

John, to be honest, I think too many people place too much concentration on the size or the pixel count in Charge Coupled Devices (CCD) or Complementary-Symmetry Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) image sensors and possibly ignore the entire video system. The size of the CCD or CMOS sensor are important, the total number of pixels in the sensor has an effect on the video, the number of sensors can make a big difference but is not the only factor. The sensor design, their sensitivity, dynamic range, and signal processing circuits are only one part of the system. The lens and optics system can also have a big effect. Processing of the three primary colors is another task that must be dealt with as well as other problems such as smear, fixed pattern noise caused by dark current and sensor lag (which for example can affect shutter speeds) and other factors.

You want t compare the two cameras? Read valid reviews and download a lot of images produced by the cameras and compare them.

Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote