Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:01 AM   #1

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Great site!

My Canon SD1000 time/date stamp was wrong (2008 instead of 2009). How do I change the time/date stamp on a series of pictures? (not just the folder, but on the pix themselves?)

Any help is appreciated.

Tx!
pshquitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Administrator

Do you mean the date/time stamp in the image EXIF (metadata in an image file's header that contains information about camera settings used, date/time a photo was taken, etc.)?

If so, ExifToolGUI (which has a GUI front end for Paul Harvey's ExifTool) has a date/time shift function so you can change it.

See this page for more info, download links and screen captures.

http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/fot...xiftoolgui.htm

If you mean a date/time stamp on an image, there is no easy way to remove it (it's part of the photo). You'd need to use an editor (Photoshop, the GIMP), etc. with tools like a clone stamp to drive and change the photos.

Date stamps can be unsightly and ruin a photo (especially if the colors clash), even if have the correct date. I'd leave that feature turned off.

The settings a camera used to take a photo are included inthe EXIF (a header that is part of your images).This header includes the date and time an image was taken.

You can get software that can read the date the photo was taken, and stamp your images at the time you print them if you really need that feature.

One example of a free utility isExifer for Windows (it's watermark feature can read the date information, and place it on the photos in batch mode).

Irfanview also has that ability with it's batch processing features.

Using software to stamp the photos (instead of a camera's date stamp feature), insures that you always have originals without the date stamp (since it can be unsightly). Simplywork with copies of your originals so you'll have versions with and without a date stamp.

Some printing software can also place the date on a photo when printing (reading it from the EXIF metadata in the image file). Even the free EasyPrint software Canon includes with some of it's newer Pixma printers has this feature (and some third party printing software like QImage Pro can also do this, with nodate stampfeature in the camera needed).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote