Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 23, 2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Default Battery life: SX 10

I'm recently purchased an SX 10 from a retailer who has a 30-day, no questions, no-re-stock fee return policy, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the investment.

I have become more comfortable with it's operation and I am very happy with the quality of the pictures, but I seem to be averaging less than 50 shots before a "replace battery" warning flashes. The rechargeable's that I'm using had just been in the charger for more than 24 hours, and they are rated at 2450 mAh, but they are a few years old. Could age be a problem? If I keep the camera, should I look into higher amperage batteries (B and H carries a private brand rated at 2900 mAh at a very reasonable price)? Or might the unit I have be defective in it's power draw?

Thanks for any input.
mjflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2009, 9:19 AM   #2

IMO it is the age of your batteries. I have had excellent results with the hybrid type of batteries. They are made by Ray-o-Vac, Sanyo (where they are called eneloops), and Uniross (where they are called hybrios).

Hybrid batteries come with 1/2 of the normal charge, and they will hold their charge for several months.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 10:05 AM   #3

I too was a bit puzzled by the SX10's short battery life. About 100 shots, give or take and a lot of lost power while just waiting to be used. I had three sets of batteries to go on a NYC weekend. At the last moment I got tired of all the hype around the Eneloop and bought a set which I put in the camera as the first to use. Wow! when I came home after 500 shots, they were still in the camera and the meter was showing 60% power remaining. That is the only way to go.
originalstarlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 9:25 AM   #4

do yourself a favor and get yourself a 15 minute energizer recharger with double aa nickle bat. The charger really does charge it full in 15 minutes. I have 8 aa bat for my camera.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 7:42 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Same as Sarah, I use Hybrios batteries in my SX1 and can fill 2 8Gb cards of video and photos without even going to another set. When I was using my 2700mah NiMH in the SX1 I was not getting much time at all. They would work great in my Canon flash units but the SX1 just didn't like them.

Get a couple of sets of Eneloops or Hybrios and you won't look back.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 3:58 AM   #6

I have the SX1, yesterday I took 330 photos without flash, 20 with flash, 13 minutes of HD video.
All that with one set of 2000mAh RayOVac hybrid (LSD)rechargeables.
And of course the batteries are not empty yet.
The battery charger I'm using is Sanyo MQH02 which charges 4x2000mAh batteries in 2h, with those dumb and slow overnight chargers you can ruin any battery really fast, so remember to buy a smart charger too.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:02 AM   #7

I have sx1 is with 2700mah and i talk more than 642 soots with it without flash and mre than 46 photos with flash set to low out put
Note i charge using a slow charger
LightHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:54 PM   #8

I have had several Canon models that ate batteries until switching to eneloops or similar. I was told by someone (perhaps someone on these forums?) that Canons operate at a narrower voltage range than other brands, and that the hybrid batteries maintain a flatter voltage curve during use. I don't have enough technical knowledge to know how true that it is, but it is consistent with the results I had by changing battery types.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote