Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 3, 2003, 9:13 AM   #1
Default Canon SD10 IXUS i and digital zoom

Hello All

I have a question regarding the new Canon SD10's digital zoom: if I am taking a picture at a lower than maximum resolution (ie: 2MP) can I zoom in digitally at, say, 1.4x, without any loss in resolution?

Theoretically, at 1.4x, the camera should be enlarging the centre 2MP of its sensor, so there should be no degradation to the image at all.

The same would happen at 1MP, with a 2x digital zoom setting. This is what Sony has introduced with their new "smartzoom".

Is this the same for Canon's, more specifically, the SD10? Has anyone tried this?

Many thanks!

Lwcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:27 AM   #2

I have an S400 but have not tried that experiment yet. The theory is ok though so it should work.

However, I find the practical value of this very limited. I prefer shooting a full frame at all times, and do cropping afterwards. Digital zooming is nothing else but cropping while making the shot. It will give you more freedom to do this afterwards. If you do not want the hassle of post processing then it makes sense but you are not making it easy on yourself if you want to make the best possible picture from a shot (in that sense post processing is MUCH easier).
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote