Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:37 PM   #1
Default Canon G11 brief review

The Canon G11 is here. Interesting, brief early review sounds promising. Sensor the same size as G10, but MP's made bigger...now 10 MP's, not 14.6 or whatever it was with the G10. Canon says pix quality will be better than G10.

Will have to see, wonder if it will approach dslr...probably not, I'm thinking, as although improved, sensor still same size as G10.

Looking forward to a full test of this interesting camera. The Canon G series has a lot of appeal for me and others, I'm sure.

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:27 PM   #2

Lot's of reader's of this thread, but no commentators ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:10 AM   #3

Having only recently bought the G10 (after waiting too long to buy it), the release of the G11 is a bit of a disappointment (I'd have waited for the G11 had I known it was just 'round the corner).
The 14.7mp of the G10 was a worry and, as has been proven is responsible for noise at ISO's above 200.

I was also rather hoping that a 720p movie mode be made available via a firmware upgrade, but the G11 release has proven that Canon still believe differently for this model.
I hope the assembly quality is up a notch or two for the G11 - the G10 while solid and hefty, does have some assembly issues, I returned the first one due to the casing being slightly loose around the annotation button (where you grip it with the thumb) and caused a 'creaking' sound to be recorded. Although the replacement model is solid in that area it is loose around the front grip which you feel 'give' each time you pick up the camera and hold it. I find that slightly off-putting somehow (so used to the high class solid feel of my PENTAX slr I suppose)

I think I'd actually sell it off at the drop of a hat if I hat the chance.
If I get the opportunity, I'll check out a G11, though flip-out screens do nothing for me to be honest.
sledger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:41 PM   #4
Default Canon G11, the real thing?

As many other pro photographers, I've been keeping an eye out for a point-and-shoot designed for photography and not for marketing hype. Since 2004, my go-everywhere little camera has been the Fuji E-900 (it is remarkable what you can make this camera do if you know your way around). The Canon G11 is a gutsy move that answers the prayers of many pros and, hopefully, many photographically serious amateurs. With clean 10MP, possibly up to ISO400, upsized to 80MP in Genuine Fractals, you can get good salable prints up to 32x42" at 240dpi (not cropped). The reasonable zoom starts at an excellent 28mm and also promises good overall performance. The articulated LCD monitor is very handy in field macro situations and, if necessary, in the studio. I am curious to see how well the optical viewfinder behaves. If it does in the lab and real life as well as it does on paper, this camera is a dream come true (and I'll buy my first Canon).
mortag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:43 AM   #5

Thanks for sharing the post... interesting.... Information.....
sellyanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:14 PM   #6

Is this out yet? I'm having a bit of trouble finding it for sale.
coachjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:31 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i believe those that pre-ordered it in the UK received theirs this morning. i have yet to find any sample images from them yet though.

be interesting to see how it stacks up to the lx3, fuji's, etc in high iso performance.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote