Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:40 PM   #1
Default Night Settings for Canon PowerShot SD880IS

I have a SD880IS cam. Though have read a lot of good reviews about it, i am somehow not happy with the results at all.
Recently had been to Paris and Amsterdam, and was really really disappointed with the pictures .
Tried all the settings ( that i could) but was not able to click a single nice pic of the Eiffel Tower at night. Went to the top of the tower but was totally heart broken as i could not take good pic from the top to show to mates at home.
All the images were blurred.
Moreover there is a lot of noise in the pictures.
( Lot more problems are there, but this one is the most important one)

Anyone knows what the settings should be???
Aantariksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2009, 7:02 AM   #2

The shutter has to stay open long enough to expose the image. That's what causes your blurry photos (blur from camera shake). Stabilization has limits as to how slow the shutter speed can go. ;-)

The noise is because the camera is increasing ISO speed for the darker conditions.

For night photos, you'll want to use a tripod. It's a good idea to set your ISO speed to it's lowest value to keep noise levels lower (which will mean even slower shutter speeds, which is another reason you'll want to use a tripod).

I'd see how it behaves in Programmed Auto mode first, setting ISO speed to it's lowest value. If the image is too dark, use a +EV setting with Exposure Compensation to get a brighter exposure. If the image is too light, use a -EV setting with Exposure Compensation to get a darker exposure.

If Programmed Auto does not allow a slow enough shutter speed to properly expose an image at your lowest ISO speed (and it may not), your camera also has a "Long Exposure" setting available. With that setting, you can set the desired shutter speed (from 1 to 15 seconds). Use a slower shutter speed for a brighter exposure or a faster shutter speed for a darker exposure. See page 86 of the manual for more information on that mode:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote