Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Default shutter problems

My Canon S3 IS, purchased a few years ago, has been having progressively worsening problems with its shutter failing to open. It is now at the point where it simply no longer works. I learned on the web that this is a problem common to some Canon camera's but Canon has not seen fit to make a recall of the S3 or offer to repair it at a reasonable cost. I have owned many Canon cameras and other products over the years and have always been very happy with their quality (my Canon A1 still functions perfectly), thus I am tempted to replace my S3 with one of Canon's newer models but cannot in good conscience do this if there is a potential that in a few years time I will experience the same or similar types of problems. So my question is - have these problems definitely been fixed in the newer models?
brad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:48 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, that was a problem that seems to be unique to the Canon S-3 camera. I would give the Canon Customer Service Department a telephone call. Last year, they offered a "trade-out" program on the Canon S-3 cameras.

The trade-out program offered an assortment of Canon refurbished cameras at a great reduced price to compensate you for you S-3 problem.

It might be worth a try.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote