Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:25 AM   #1
Default Can my Cannon do this?

I am going to visit my mother-in-law for a couple of weeks Thanksgiving. She is physically challenged but all there She and her late husband were in Berlin when it fell in WW2 and stayed thru the building of the wall as he was in the military in charge of supplies. They have a large collection of 35mm slides they took during this time, I want to digitalize and do a sound and fade DVD disk with Pro-Show. I was going to set up the slide projector and I have a tape recorder with which every evening we are going to go through some slides with her giving commentary. This is why I am not going to use a scanner along with the fact she lives 800 miles away and does not have a computer.
I have a Cannon Power Shot S2 IS and tripod. What are the best light settings and exposure, ISO ect and method I can use to do this? Or is it even something I should try? I would realy like to make a gift of this for her as getting out the projecter is something she can no longer do herself.
Thank you
oldtexasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:34 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

You know, as soon as you say that an older Canon S-2 can't do something, somebody will find a way to do it. As I see it, the real issue here is to create a slide show with an audio track, and a visual track, that captures as much quality as possible.

Because the S-2 is pretty much ISO limited to around ISO 200, before electronic noise becomes a factor, and markedly degrades the image quality, I would suggest that you accomplish this wonderful project in step by step fashion.

Since you are there with your mother, record the sound track now, as you manually show the slides. Then number the slides, so that the audio track will follow the slide, or visual "track." Finally when I got home, have the slides professionally copied. Then at your leisure, you can assemble the audio and visual track and put them together with Pro-Show. That way the image quality of the slide is preserved.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3

That would be ideal but this is my mother-in law and I cannot take the slides home (puddle jumper to local airport then jet home). I was going to do the sound with the recorder much like you suggested then when home with the SD cards put them into the computer then do a audio mix of music and her comments dubbed in with the show. The problem is to get the pics and the only way I can see of doing this is with the camera.On the positive note as I was only planning to make a DVD show for her and not do photo quality files. The pix rate on DVDs would be adequate for taking these off the wall so to speak--Right?
Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited by oldtexasdog; Nov 15, 2009 at 9:05 PM.
oldtexasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:59 PM   #4

Hi there,

This is such a cool project that I had to register and put in my 2 cents worth, as I've done something similar.

First, you need to put your camera in "super macro" mode and then you can hold the slides pretty much directly next to the lens and you can take pretty decent pics of the slides. here is a thread that tells you how to get into "super macro" mode:

Canon S2 IS Super Macro Mode

So just realize that if everything else fails, you can still at least get some semi decent copies of the slides.

Now if I had to do what you are wanting, I'd set up the camera on a tripod and borrow a slide projector and screen and then put the slide up, take the pic, then have your mother in law talk as long as she wants for that particular slide and record that. You should be able to turn it into a memorable evening for everyone involved this way, but just know that if nothing else works out all you need is a sunny room and just hold the slides by hand next to the lens when in the super macro mode. You do get some distortion at the edges this way but it is not bad, and this is an image to go with a narrative any way.
MarkUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:51 AM   #5

Hello Mark,
I am William and I want to say thanks for sharing very useful tips with us all.
I want to do the same but do not know how to do so..... But after visiting the
site given by you and your advise I can do as I needed. Thanks again.
buddyburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:09 AM   #6

Would something like this work for you?

I digitized about 300 slides for a friend of mine with this. It was tedious but got the job done.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote