Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:27 PM   #21

I too am having the same problem with grainy photos with the Canon SX120. My problem is I am not use to grainy photos, l and I don't want to get use to them. The canon also seems to put an orange tint to all my photos. The colors of my pets and rooms look totally different from the photos that my older camera has taken, the photos taken with the Canon just don't portray the true life color that I am use to. For example, when I take a picture of my dog with the canon, he looks like part of my hardwood floor, when in reality he is a a bit darker than it, and the red carpet in my sons room looks a funny shade of brown when I take a picture of it with the Canon.

My old camera is a 5mp Kodak easyshare DX7590, but I wanted a smaller compact camera to fit in my purse better so my husband got me the Canon for Christmas. Unfortunately, the new Canon doesn't take as good quality photos as my old kodak. I take a lot of indoor pictures and frequently use a flash and I am use to getting wonderful clear crisp photos. So I am disappointed when I take pictures with this new canon in the same rooms, with the same lighting and get grainy, less than sharp images. I prefer to take pictures on auto, but have instead tried every setting I could think of to get the canon to match the sharpness and color quality I get with the auto setting that is on the kodak.

Here is a picture from the old Kodak camera. It is a picture of my dog in his dog bed in my living room, taken on auto, with a flash. I can see his colors and fur very distinctly. And the colors are very true to life.

The second is another photo of my dog and my son. It isn't as clear and I can't really make out the fur on his face, it kind of blurs together and just doesn't look as crisp and sharp as I want. My sons face also has a grain to it that I just don't like. The color just isn't as true to life as well. All the photos from this camera seem to have an orange look to them.

I shouldn't have photos look worse in a newer camera right? I know lighting is important to get a good photo, but when I have gotten good photos with a flash indoors in the past with a different camera, it makes me wonder if there is one small item I am missing to get this canon to do what I want. My husband suggested I take the camera back if I am not happy with it, but I really don't want to do that, so if you have any tips (other than changing the iso, because I have taken photos with every iso setting and they all look grainy) I would be most grateful.

~~

kendrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:50 AM   #22

kendrella-

The photos look fairly normal to me. If anything, you might want to check the White Balance setting to be sure that it is set to Auto White balance. That would be the only logical adjustment that I can think of after observing your posted photos.

Please also keep in mind that the Kodak Z-7590 was one of the best cameras that kodak ever made. It is well known for its excellent image quality. So you might have become a bit spoiled by the Z-7590's excellent photo performance.

After checking the White balance setting, take several photos to determine if you can see some photo improvement. However, the sample photos that you posted are very typical of the image performance on the Canon SX-120. Also, even when I enlarged the image substantially, I could not detect any grain in your son's face.

Please let me know if there is an improvement in your photos, and please be sure to include some outdoor photos as well in your testing.

Merry Christmas and have a great weekend a head.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:02 PM   #23

Here is a typical Canon SX-120 indoor flash photo.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...10_HkRoC-M.jpg
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:11 PM   #24

Default OP is right...

In my opinion, the original poster is correct... ( let me edit that to say....somewhat. ) I just got an SX120 for Christmas and was very disappointed to find out that many pictures my 4 year old daughter took with my old Canon A95 ( that this camera was replacing ) were superior in color fidelity and over all picture quality than the SX120 at the same Christmas party.

In fact my annoyance at this is what brought me to this forum... I've been googling around to see if other people have had the same problem.

EDIT: I just performed some adhoc experiments with the camera's side by side however, and found that at least for still shots with the flash the SX120 is superior on grain and color accuracy.

I got this camera to be a more "advanced" P&S for my wife. So far I haven't been all that impressed, however. Most of my shots at the party look washed out, and darks look grainy, while the A95 does not in the same setting.

I do also wonder if the JPEG quality settings on the camera are artificially low, however ( why isn't there a higher quality level than "fine"? I don't need RAW, but jeez... when a high speed 8GB MMC is $25, why not? )

Something just seems fishy...

Last edited by MurderMostFowl; Dec 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM.
MurderMostFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:43 AM   #25

MMF-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Based on my own personal experience, as you can see from my posted photos, I am pleased with the performance of the Canon SX-120. I also own the SX-100 and SX-110 cameras.

It would be very helpful indeed if you could post a few sample photos of the SX-120 where you have detected problems. Overall, we have seen few complaints about the image quality of the SX-120 camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce