Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:59 PM   #1
Default Identify defective CCD Canons by serial numbers?

Is it possible to identify if a particular Canon has a defective CCD by
it's serial number? I'm interested in buying an S1 IS but want to know if it
has a defective CCD. Does Canon repair the CCD or replace entire camera
with a newer model?

yardleydobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:17 PM   #2

They all use the same CCD with the same [potential] issues. It's just a matter of if they've failed yet or not. Here's a service bulletin about the problem (and it also effected a *lot* of other cameras using a variety of Sony sensors at the time).

AFAIK, they're still fixing them for free if they fail and it's a CCD problem. I think manufacturers like Canon, Nikon and others made an arrangement with Sony so that Sony ate most of the cost (at least at one point), since a defect in the way some of their sensors were being manufactured was the cause of the problem (and Sony supplies the sensors used in a lot of different cameras from a variety of manufacturers).

Note that a Canon S1 IS is not worth very much now, though. For example, here's one for $75 on Ebay from a vendor with 100% feedback that has a 30 day exchange policy (and you could probably find one for less if you're a good shopper, as that was just a quick search there).

You may also want to consider a newer model unless you just want one of those for a specific reason. I'd check the used departments at vendors like these:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote