Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 9, 2003, 9:55 PM   #1
Default More on s400 vs. a80...opinions needed!

Well, I visited best buy today and got to hold the a80. Now I'm more confused than ever. Jim C helped me out so much to understand my current camera, but I'm still thinking I need a new one. Maybe you can help me decide??

They both "feel" OK in my hands. Price-wise I'm wanting to stay right around $400. I like the smallness of the s400 and the manual controls for the a80. I am a stay at home mom and I have an 18 mos. old and a 6 mos. old. I want to take "action" photos. My 18 mos. old does not sit still. I would like to be able to have the smallest shutter lag? time possible. I do not care a darn thing about video, as I will probably never even use it. I tend to crop the hell out of my photos. Most likely, I will not be taking panoramic shots of mountains. I just want a decent camera for family & vacation use. I also like the idea of the optional wide angle lens for the A80.

So, pls let me know what you think. Also, I know this is a canon forum, but I'm still in the research phase, so feel free to recommend a different brand based on my needs. Thanks in advance!

amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:47 AM   #2

I have just bought the S400 to replace my S20. Some of the main reasons I did so were size, weight, and battery consumption. The S400 is so small there is no reason not to have it with you at all times ... ready to snap those priceless moments with the kids. Boot up time is fast .. picture quality is superb (although low light even with flash could be better). Close up shots are fine .. but turn off the AIAF feature .. I've seen otherwise great photos out of focus because of it.

You say you don't want video .. but with kids I would say that should be up there at the top of your "should have list". I recently had a CD sent to me from the UK of my nephews .. moments caught on a Canon digicam .. mostly stills, but some short video clips that would otherwise have been missed. I was amazed how good these clips were .. considering they were shot on a digital camera.

Just my thoughts
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote