Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 20, 2003, 9:45 PM   #1
Default need canon user opinion

I posted this in the minolta forum and they gave me their opinion and I wanted to see what the opinion in this forum is.

I'm at a crossed road between 3 cameras
Sony F828
Canon Digital Rebel
Minolta A1

I'm an amauter who wants to get a camera with more pixels as well as something where I can grow into.

I like all 3.
Sony has eight megapixel
Minolta A1 has the anti -shake
Canon digital pictures looks incredible even at default settings

As for my shooting habits:
I like to take pictures of landscapes, buildings etc. Not to many portaits or macros. Some action pictures here and then.

Since I am a total amaueter I probably will be using the camera in point and shoot more for about 70 percent of the time while I learn during the other 30 percent

So my question is which one should I get for my level and what I want to shoot?

recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2003, 8:53 PM   #2

nice position to be in......it would be between the Rebel or the 828. If you plan to grow with the camera, and get into different lenses go with the Rebel.

When it comes down to it, your going to be very happy with any of the cameras you just mentioned....your in a win, win, win situation
djbango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:09 PM   #3

I would vote for the Digital Rebel, because it allows you to expand as you grow, plus it is an incredible camera for the price.
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:58 AM   #4
Default opinion

Here's my breakdown and opinions are welcomed

Lens: At this point, interechangable vs fixed is not that important because I probably won't be getting any lenses until a year and half to 2 years later if I did get the canon.

Megapixel: great to have higher resolution but not at the expensive of noise and hours of retouching.

Wieght: is a issue but since none of these camera's weigh more than 1.5 -1.6 pounds it shouldn't be that bad. Besides I'm not using it as a pusedo s400 or anything like that.

Features: Nice to have tons of features but if the camera can take really good pictures then why fix it if it's not broken?

Biggest concern: as close to noise free images from raw as I can get from default setting.

recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:18 PM   #5

I would go for the digital rebel. I shot my daughter's school Christmas program at 1600 ISO with a external flash. I had them developed into 4 x 6's and I couldn't see any grain. I was literally impressed!

Nikon 5700
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:50 PM   #6

while they're all good cameras I would go with the Rebel.

I've been very happy with the quality of the pictures and you can capture shots with it (kids on the swing) that other digicams just can't get reliably.

The downside is that if you aren't going to be buying additional lenses the kit lens doesn't have as much of a zoom range as some others. Consider buying a used lens from a reputable camera store, it could give you some added range and many of the 28-105 lenses aren't that expensive.

The thing about SLRs is that they're a system - the camera body is merely part of the system. If you don't want to get into a system (thats okay too) keep that in mind.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote