Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:51 PM   #1
Default working hard to fall in love with SX20is :)

hi experts,

i am a newbie in photography, have always been on very basic point and shoot and SX20 was my first attempt to a better camera ( both in terms of price and features).

its a week that i had this camera, i am trying hard to fall in love with it...but to no avail ....

now the problem, all the pictures indoors have been grainy and the ones outdoors have the purple fringe problem ( which i already was aware as some reviews pointed that out). But the indoor pictures were almost impossible to believe as when i took some shots with my wife's old Sony p&S ( WS5) they came out much sharper then the sx20. And i think it is important to point that i even tried tripod on SX20, and the old sony one was always used handheld. After lot of research i check the EXIF info and was surprised to find that with flash where my old sony P&S was showing ISO to be between 125-200...with same lighting in the room the SX20 was showing ISOs of 400 (varying to 800 for some pics). I was mainly using Auto mode...but is the intelligence of auto mode so bad on sx20? or there is something really wrong that i am doing. ( i already replaced one piece because of some zoom problems, so i doubt that i am unlucky second time).

would appreciate if any of the Canon Sx20is users on forum share their experience with auto mode?
Auto mode is important for me, as at times i expect my wife to use this and i can not expect her to play with ISO etc (she hates gadgets, or in other words learning how to use them...)....if that is the case may be i would return it. ( i guess i am at fault somewhere with the usage, otherwise how can the digi carry so much appreciation all over the web :- ( )

any pointers are really appreciated.

EDIT : UPDATE - returned SX20, finally closed in on Panny Lumix F40. took some samples at a store with demo FZ35 and they looked better for my taste (compared to SX20) Was getting FZ40 at the same price as FZ35 so went for FZ40. Took some 40 odd pics and so far it looks good.

Last edited by anti_maniac; Nov 20, 2010 at 5:00 PM.
anti_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links