Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:29 PM   #1
Default Choosing a Camera

I am a new member, and an ameture photographer at best. I am trying to decide on a new camera. As a physician I take pictures in the operating room and in my office. I have a Nikon D5000 but find it difficult to take pictures on the go and don't have enough room in my bag. I've been using an old Canon powershot but it doesn't have the zoom/macro I need for close up shoots. I've been interested in the new 4/3's design but still feel this is too big and would require lens changes? Also considering the Canon S95 but still has low zoom. Any suggestions??

Plasticos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:41 PM   #2

G12 is Canon's other high-end point and shoot, but with a longer (5X) zoom.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:55 PM   #3

I have the Canon G11, which is pretty much the same as the new G12. I use Canon's close-up lenses (250D +4, and 500D +2 diopter) with the Lensmate adapter tubes (parts A + C). This allows you to zoom the lens to max zoom (140mm equiv) to "stand off" from the subject and allow more light in, as well as use an external flash, off camera (by cord or wireless). Here's a link on another forum to a current thread by someone that has pretty much mastered using the G11 with this concept and different diopter close up lenses, all of them achromatic to get the best results.

Here's a link to the Lensmate site concerning their tubes for the G10/G11/G12 (they all use the same lens). Their tubes A + C are designed to use a 58mm filter. They have a new quick change system that uses 52mm filters. Canon just announced a new filter holder that uses 58mm filters, and zooms with the lens to eliminate any vignetting that tends to occur with the fixed tube systems.

denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:00 PM   #4

I still have the G10 and prefer it to either of the two succeeding models. But I don't think that's the best Canon for you. You should look closely at the SX130 - you'll find a lot of discussion on it at POTN.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:18 PM   #5

I use to have a Canon AS1000IS and it was fantastic in the macro department. It was a great affordable camera, but now as I'm looking for it online it is a bit outdated. I'm not sure how much you are willing to spend for a point and shoot, but if a higher end canon point and shoot is what you are looking for I'd say the Canon G11 and G12. They are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

As for being an owner of the Nikon D5000, in order to get macro shots without actually owning the lens, I just snap on Digital Concepts macro lens set on my 18-55mm lens to achieve the shot. Obviously, it's not the same as if you were to buy a real macro lens, but I think it does a pretty good job. These would come in handy at the office when your shooting close up.
SimpleEmpires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:13 AM   #6

My suggestion would be to take a look at the rather tiny and ultra compact Canon SD4000. It is an amazing little camera, does excellent macro shots, has 3.8X (28mm wide angle to 105mm) and is very capable of good high ISO shots, up to and including ISO 1600.

Here is a recent photo sample from the SD4000.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote