Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:41 PM   #1
Default One more cold weather question

In an effort to keep my camera a bit warmer this winter I thought about wrapping it in fleece bag with a hole cut out for the lens & view finder. It's really the batteries that I need to keep as protected from the frigid temps. In addition I had thought about placing a hand warmer inside the fleece.

Does this sound crazy?

What about the AF assist beam sensor on the front of the camera? If I'm shooting in daylight, no flash, what effect will this have on focusing if any? I have the option to turn off the AF assist.
ogrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:27 AM   #2

Sounds a bit crazy. Fleece can have electric charge. All i do in winter is to pull out the battery and store it in the Jacket. I had no problems in winter with my cameras.
Best regards

Excuse my english, i know it is not the best.

Canon Powershot S95
Panasonic HDC SD-10 with sunshade.
Juggernauter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:51 PM   #3

In good light AF assist is not necessary and most likely won't even come on even if left on.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:45 PM   #4

Its a bit extreme.
The oly worry is battery life, I always keep a spare in my pocket where its warm and actually hav eonly had to use it because of it being too cold once.

Other than that you do have to worry about condensation issues when going from cold to hot. I have found that if I leave everything in my bag with it closed and zippered up its sufficient. Other alternatives would be to seal gear in a large ziploc if you need to get to it faster. So long as you let it acclimate slowly there are no worries. Left in the bag for a couple of hours is more than sufficient.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote