Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:18 PM   #1
Default which canon should I buy??

getting ready to purchase my first digital - do a little amateur photography with a Minolta slr.
have been looking at canons - maybe the G5
I will mainly be shooting my 2 year grandaughters - here's what is important to me
4 or 5 mp
good zoom
no red eye
like compac flas cards
need fast shooting
any recommendations
price range 500-600
dwingard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:55 PM   #2

With your requirements and price you'll need to opt for a new G5 or, better, a new G3 because in order to have your need to red-eye free flash photography you're also going to need to buy a shoe mount flash, which will bump your cost up another $180 or so for a 420 EX- that virtually puts the G5 out of your range, price-wise. The G series can be manually focused- very important since these type cameras are notoriously poor focusing indoors in low light, especially zoomed into the tele range. I find myself setting the focus to 5-8 feet manually and shooting in aperture preferred at f5.6 or so to have a wide enough DOF to be sure my subject is focussed well, because many times in lower light the G5 fails to focus correctly or takes several attempts to do so- something I have learned to work with and now I know when it won't work and what I have to do. When you learn their limitations these cameras are really fun to use, but you need to know up front not one of these type cameras is perfect in all aspects.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:39 AM   #3

I'm no expert, but with what I've read about the canon cameras, I think a s-45 would be good enough for you.

Also, the s400, according to dcresource.com, has obtained exceptionnal red-eye results.
Olivier12345 is offline   Reply With Quote