Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:07 AM   #1
Default SX30 is the Best for Taking Photos from 512-yards away

For law enforcement purposes, I need to take clear photos of suspects from over 500-yards away. And since I hand-off my photos to others in the field, I need to print my photos on a portable printer with no opportunity for computer software enhancements. For budgetary and practical purposes, the camera also needs to be light in weight, inexpensive and simple to use.

While hunting for the best camera meeting my above criteria, I compared the Canon SX10IS, Fujifilm HS10, Nikon P100, Panasonic FZ100 and Canon SX30IS compact zoom lens cameras. I compared these cameras by taking photos of students from 512 and 514-yards. I measured the distance with a Bushnell Yardage Pro. I received the best IQ of the students from my SX10IS set at 20x zoom + 4x digital zoom and mounted with a 1.7x TCON teleconversion lens. I mounted the TCON-17 to the SX10's and SX30's 52mm lens filter threads using a 52mm to 55mm step up ring. Someone pointed out to me that these are not actually filter threads, but concentric circles, but they accept my step up ring very nicely.

Although I found that the SX30IS gives me better IQ than the HS10, P100 and FZ100 at distances over 500-yards, the IQ of the SX10IS with a TCON-17 teleconverter attached is still slightly better than the SX30IS at these extreme ranges. Too bad the TCON-17 does not work well on the SX30IS.

With today's technology, we can't expect any one camera to be everything to everyone, so if you need a camera to take a closeup photo of a war painted tribal chief eating roasted grasshoppers off a banana leaf under triple canopy in low light for a national magazine, then you probably should be packing a Nikon D3X or Canon Mark IV together with your new Canon SX30IS or older SX10IS mounted with a TCON-17.
Finaly here is a zoom simulator where you can try SX30 (you can zoom with + / - or mouse wheel) : http://canon-sx30.blogspot.com/
karl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:50 PM   #2

Karl I shot the Nikon TC-E17ED on the FZ40 and the Canon SX30...even with the extra glass of the TC-E17ED on the FZ40 it shot much more detailed photos than the SX30...you're right the SX30 should have had proper "fit for purpose" threads on the front of the lens...thats is a big mistake in my book...this is my second SX30 and the second one I am sending back to the vendor...done with SX30 for my part...

LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote