Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:38 PM   #1

Default New Canon G12 owner- long time photographer

I'm new to Canon .

I'm usually in the Pentax DSLR forum, but today I bought a new Canon G12 as a daily carry around camera.

I've never had a Canon before. I've got two Pentax DSLR bodies...a K10D and a KM/2000....quite a few Pentax lenses.

Film days I used Pentax, Leica rangefinder, Olympus and medium format...Mamiya with three Mamiya-Sekor lenses. I still have this equipment.

Anyways I'm sure I will be bending ears here for hints on how to use my new G12....looks like a great, little camera.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:14 AM   #2

Congratulations, Les!

I am sure that you will enjoy your new G12. I own the G11 and have been very please with it performance and image quality. Did you trade-in the W90 as part of the deal?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Congratulations, Les!

I am sure that you will enjoy your new G12. I own the G11 and have been very please with it performance and image quality. Did you trade-in the W90 as part of the deal?

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

I'm looking forward to the G12...already have my next Canon purchase planned...the small flexible flash that mounts on the hot shoe.

Yes I did trade in the W90. Had some problems with the on-off switch, other than that not a bad camera.

Looking forward to using it.

Les
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:14 AM   #4

les-

I use the Canon EX-270 flash on my G-11 and it is great. Small, yet fairly powerful, with full tilting.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:07 PM   #5

Quote:
les-

I use the Canon EX-270 flash on my G-11 and it is great. Small, yet fairly powerful, with full tilting.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the info, Sarah...I will file it away for when the budget recovers.

I would like to get an additional flash and I'm a little concerned about using my Pentax 360 with it...might work fine...but I dunno.

So far I'm really enjoying it...it's a complicated little beast, but I do enjoy having control of a camera rather than being bound by automatic this, automatic that.

Les
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:41 PM   #6

les-

I am delighted to hear that you are having fun with your new Canon G-12 camera. It is a wonderful camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:34 PM   #7

Congrats on the G12! I have the G11 and am thrilled with it. They are an impressive series and I'm sure it won't disappoint you. To echo Sarah, when you have recovered the 270EX is what I use on the G11 when/if needed and it suits the camera perfectly in balancing weight.

I liked the G11 so much that it actually prompted me to get a DSLR as a companion and explore that unchartered territory. I still use the G11 when I'm just out and about and I used it as my primary camera when I was at Disney World.

Again, Congrats and have fun.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug74 View Post
Congrats on the G12! I have the G11 and am thrilled with it. They are an impressive series and I'm sure it won't disappoint you. So far after less than 2 weeks of ownership I'm very pleased with the G12. I've been doing a lot of indoors, available light photography ...some portraits, still life...with it...setting it on aperture priority (F8 is great...but F 2.8 isn't bad either )...ISO between 100 to 200....it has very good detail. I like the small size, shape...it's appearance does remind me a bit of my old film Leica Rangefinder.To echo Sarah, when you have recovered the 270EX is what I use on the G11 when/if needed and it suits the camera perfectly in balancing weight.I'm leaning towards the 270...size, portability. The prime reason I got it (G12) was because I wanted a smaller than DSLR, carry around.

In keeping with the minimalist idea...the 270 would better fit that philosophy.

I liked the G11 so much that it actually prompted me to get a DSLR as a companion and explore that unchartered territory. I still use the G11 when I'm just out and about and I used it as my primary camera when I was at Disney World. I came from the opposite end of the spectrum...I use a fairly heavy and large DSLR Pentax K10D with battery grip. Really great camera and the pix quality is wonderful....my little Canon G12 is a companion to my Pentax K10D and KM DSLR's.

Again, Congrats and have fun.
Thank you....I'm enjoying it.....my first Canon, although we bought small Canon's (520+530-I think those were the models...) for our kids.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:13 AM   #9

Quote:
les-

I am delighted to hear that you are having fun with your new Canon G-12 camera. It is a wonderful camera.

Sarah Joyce
So far in the less than 2 weeks I've had it....lot's of fun....mostly indoor, available light photography. Out here on the Canadian Prairies we've had a cold spell...temperatures hovering around -25 to -33 for the past week and a bit....I can hardly wait till the weather warms up a bit...so I can take it outside.

Les