Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:07 PM   #1
Default Digital photo developing question

Does anyone know how many DPI the fuji color processors at Walmart print images at?

I was just reading some info on resizing and printing at http://www.hertz-ladiges.com/galphot...g/printeng.htm

and my assumption based on the image size info in photoshop that my A80 is taking shots at 72DPI. Is the photo developer/printer at Walmart printing at 72, 300, 600, or some other DPI.

Trying to enlighten myself on how cropping a picture in PS will effect the quality of the developed/printed image. Also trying to guage from the info in photo shop what the best size prints to have made will be.

I had an 8X10 and a 5X7 made tonight of an image that I had significantly cropped. The 5x7 came out really well. The 8x10 started to lose photo quality. According to the image size info in PS I really should only gotten photo quality at 2x4, but 5x7 came out extremely well.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
greenfieldja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2004, 3:41 AM   #2

DPI has nothing to do with digital cameras - it comes up only when you print an image and is calculated as <image resolution in pixels>/<print size in inches>. 72 dpi in Photoshop is just a default value since Photoshop doesn't know how big you want your print to be, you can set up any value you want (you may need to unmark "constrain proportions" and/or "resample image" first). 300 dpi gives pretty sharp prints, so based on this you can calculate how much you can crop your images: <desired print size>*300dpi = <cropped image resolution in pixels>.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote