Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:03 PM   #1
Default Canon A590AS Price Over Time

I understand that the price of an item in an open marketplace is determined by what the buyer is willing to pay a seller. That said, how frequently is it the case that the market price for a digital camera more than doubles three years after it was introduced?

The Powershot A590 IS with ship beginning in March 2008 with an MSRP of US$179.99. The Digital camera kit includes two standard AA alkaline batteries, a 32MB MMC+ Memory card, a USB interface cable, an AV cable, a wrist strap, and Canon's software suite.

Today here is what we find:

4 new from $398.00 7 used from $64.18

We decided that it was time to move up from our trusty A20 and recently agreed to pay $350 for an A590IS because it had the features we concluded were important to us.

This sure makes me wish we had decided to make the move back in 2008.

I'd like to see some answers citing other examples.

baumgrenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:04 AM   #2

You have failed to take into consideration another market influence: impulse buying. Amazon always has multiple out of production camera for sale at "shoot for the moon" prices, that the seller is hoping that they can get.

Amazon's used camera prices are wildly different and inflated when compared to what you will find at B&H, Adorama, KEH, or even on E-Bay.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3

I'll have to agree with Sarah. Amazon used to have good prices but lately if one of their retail partners is down to an inventory of one the price skyrockets.

I think I had the 570 or 590 before my SRL. It's a good P&S but for the kind of money you're talking a person might opt for the G12 or S95. A person might consider returning the 590.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:33 PM   #4

I think the lack of viewfinders on compact digicams these days has created a market for older cameras that have one. I ordered an A590is after finding that my Panny's display was virtually useless in the bright sun of Florida while on vacation. But I got it cheap, and it was like new, so bargains are still out there.

I subsequently found out that there is a serious issue with this model and others in the A-series Canons where the "change battery" message appears after only a few shots, and the camera shuts down. A repair facility said this is a system board issue, and others have said that it's a failure of adequate contact between the batteries and the compartment door--both Canon's fault, and they have not stood behind these models.

My A590is did this, so I inserted some thin plastic under both contacts on the battery door, and it's been OK for awhile now. This acts as both an insulator and a shim to make the contacts more robust. Just beware used gear from strangers...
jazzleighe is offline   Reply With Quote