Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 1, 2004, 7:57 AM   #1
Default Longer than 1 sec shutter speed on Canon A80 "Av"-

I just got my A80, and I love it by the way, but I like to shoot pictures in low light using a tripod. I dont mind the shutter time, as the objects are still. (still lifes and night landscapes)
I know that i can use the "M" setting to adjust the aperture and time to whatever i like, up to 15 sec.
I find the "M" setting very good, but I would like to have a graph showing directly if the shot will be under - or overexposed, instead of the (-2) or whatever that shows up when the shutter is half-pressed.

Here's my question - Since I like to set the aperture high (8.0) to get maximum sharpness all over the picture, I'd like to use the "Av" mode, and set the aperture to 8.0 - so that the camera can choose whatever time it likes up to 15 sec. However, when I do this with a motif which is very dark, the camera sets the shutter to a "1"",showing in red (meaning underexposed) , but never more than that!
Why doesn't it shoose a longer time? Like 2 or 10 or 15 seconds?
Is there a maximum time of one second in "Av" mode??
And if so, WHY?, and must I use the "M" mode for this? That would limit the "Av" mode to "kind of bright" pictures!
Still love it though, please respond
Inkyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links