Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:57 AM   #1

when I turn on my canon powershot SD1400 IS it says on the screen memory card error when I put in a SD card it does the same thing and it wont let me do anything on the camera. how do I fix this?
robo_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:58 AM   #2

Try a different card. If that works something's wrong with the first card - try formatting it in your computer than again formatting it in the camera.

If a second card doesn't work it sounds as if something's wrong with the camera. Is there any possibility dirt or grease has got onto the card contacts?

I'd check in your manual to see if there's a way of resetting the camera, maybe by holding the "on" switch for quite a while. In any case, take the battery out for an hour, then try again.

Another thought's just occurred to me. The only time I've ever had this problem (with a compact camera, but not a Canon) the camera had been in an A/C room and I'd taken it into non-A/C surroundings. There was condensation on the contacts. Took the battery & card out and left the doors open for 30 minutes, then all was well.
Canon 5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, EF-S 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, A1+10 FD lenses, tripods, lights etc
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:20 AM   #3

I have the same problem with my SD550. Worked fine for years until few months ago when got the same error message. All SDHC cards are not recognized anymore except the little 32MB canon card coming with the camera. Canon support blames the cards, but these other cards work perfectly in pc or other camera...

so, I'm happy to see what would be suggested to troubleshoot this issue?

I tried to "internal battery" trick, opened the camera, take out the internal battery, wait and re-install...nothing.

there is a "hair dryer" trick, but I don't know what it is...

vblanche is offline   Reply With Quote