Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:33 PM   #11

The first photo, ("pic," yellow/red flowers) lacks snap. I'm not sure of your lighting situation but it seems kind of flat. I suspect use of a reflector, maybe a large white card, might have added some highlights and brightened the colors a bit. Bracketing exposure and experimenting with the vivid-color effect is another approach.

The story appears the same in "Pic 3." Pic 1 looks as though it was shot in open shade or under an overcast sky and is rendered very well for those circumstances. "Pic 2" has vivid, red-orange flowers that are highlight-free against a busy light- and dark-gray background. Again, no highlights, but there's good detail in the rich, red-orange petals.

IMO, lisalonewolf's flower pics are terrific. The soft, subdued lighting works by complementing the flowers' shape and the delicate detail of the petals.

Islandlife, you offer a limited selection of photos taken in lighting that yielded images you find unappealing. I have a strong hunch your dissatisfaction results from that kind of lighting, not the camera's capabilities. You got a terrific bargain price on a camera that can do just about everything but pour your coffee. I urge you to get out and work with it in a variety of subject and lighting situations. Take along your old S2 IS and make some comparison shots. I think if you do you'll find it's capable of producing sharp, snappy images with impressive fidelity.
S.W. Anderson
SWA is offline   Reply With Quote