Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:00 PM   #1
Default A80 Help Please

1. Resolution and Size Setting: I would like to fit over 200 shots on my 256 mb CF card. Should I set the camera to a Large/Fine setting or a M1/Superfine setting? Is there much difference? Though I don't anticipate much printing, will I still be able to print an 8 x 10 photo?

2. I tried to take pics at an indoor basketball game the other day with blurry results. I had the setting on action shots with the flash off. It was bright enough but blurry. Also, the shutter delay was killing me. I could not take the shot when I wanted. Any solutions?

3. In the Auto mode, is there a way to take shots without the 2 1/2 second shutter delay? I tried pressing half way (yeah sure!) to focus first but I'm not doing too well. Why doesn't the camera focus ( like a camcorder) before pushing the button?

Thanks for your help.
mrmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2004, 4:39 AM   #2

1. Depends on what you are photographing. If there are many details in the picture, go with Superfine. Fine is fine, but details like tree leaves and grass will be a bit blurred. If you want sharp prints 8x10, better go with Large. M1 is for 4x6 prints.

2. Try shutter speed priority and set it high - the higher shutter speed, the sharper pics you'll get (providing the scene is in focus).

3. Try manual focus. I think the camera doesn't prefocus because it takes much energy - a camcorder's battery usually doesn't last as long as digicam's one.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 4:34 PM   #3

For the delay, i've found that with the A80 you need to press the shutter button 1/2 way down and wait until it focuses at your anticipated distance. Then keep the button pressed because once the auto-focus has calibrated it will be ready to go as soon as you press it all the way down. So for your action photos, just press thebutton 1/2 the way down until your little green boxes show up, and then your shutter will be more responsive to your touch- otherwise you'll get that delay because the camera will focus itself first.

Good luck.
diskis190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 7:54 PM   #4

is there a way to take shots without the 2 1/2 second shutter delay?
Sure. Turn the camera on, put it in Auto mode, or whatever mode you are concerned with, push the Func button on the back of the camera. Use the round control to "scroll' down to Drive. It is prolly set on 2.5 set it to the small square. (you have to be looking at the screen)

Indoor sports are always going to be tough, as the flash doesn't have enough power to give you "Flash" lighting all the way out onto the court. The indoor natural light is going to force the camera to choose a slow shutter speed.. hence the blur.

Using Av and 2.8, will get you the highest shutter speed and hence the best bet for exposure without camera shake.

Another thought on the blur.. set the ISO setting to 200 or even 400, (this is like using a faster film speed). It will give you a faster exposure with a slight loss in quality. Try it and do some experimentation.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote