Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Default canon elph 100 HS

I'm trying to record video on my camera. I have a 16 gig card in the camera. The problem is after ten minutes of recording the camera shuts itself off. Any ideas on how to override this feature or correct it?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this problem.
Andoones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:07 PM   #2

That's normal behavior for that camera and I am not aware of any way around it, other than the record video in lower quality.

See the notes under the chart on this page:

- Recording will automatically stop when the clip file size reaches 4 GB, or when the recording time reaches approximately 10 minutes when shooting in () or (), and approximately 1 hour when shooting in () or ().
Also note that the file system being used by SDHC cards is FAT32, and FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB.

Now from what I can see of a glance at it's specs, your camera also supports SDXC cards. SDXC cards larger than 32GB are formatted using a different file system known as exFAT, that gets around the file system limitations inherent to FAT32.

But, I don't know if the Canon would allow longer video recording lengths using an SDXC card formatted as exFAT or not (as it may have a timer that limits the recording time, regardless of file size to keep the camera from becoming too warm so that heat doesn't damage components), and I see the same limitation of 10 minutes mentioned on page 30 of the user guide:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote