Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:32 PM   #1
Default Stuck pixel

I bought a new S45 about 3 weeks ago. About a week ago, I noticed a white dot appearing in every image I take in the same exact place. Looking at the various images I had previously shot, I was able to trace the dot back to the exact date it started appearing: Jan. 9th, 10 days after I had originally received the camera. Now, I've done some reading on the web, and it seems what I'm dealing with is a stuck pixel. The camera is obviously still under warranty, and I'm contemplating sending it to Canon to have it repaired. It's too late to return it for a refund/replacement, as I cut out the UPC code off the box for a mail-in rebate.

My question is the following: is it worth sending the camera to Canon at all? In many cases, I can live with the white dot, as it's not really noticeable in some pictures, although in low-light pictures it can really be a nuisance. Has anyone had a similar experience, and had Canon successfully repair it? I've read many accounts from people who ended up sending the camera in for repair, only to have it shipped back "fixed", with the stuck pixel still there. I'm pretty sure I will want to send it back at some point, when I don't anticipate needing the camera for 2-3 weeks, but I would like to know what the chances of getting it back with the white pixel gone are.

On a side note, I'm somewhat puzzled that the camera would develop stuck pixels so early in its lifetime. What causes dead/hot/stuck pixels anyway?

Thanks a lot!
njusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links