Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:46 AM   #1
Default Canon A710is battery use issue

Good day folks. We've has an A710is for a few years now and it works great.

The problem we have is that it is now using up batteries at an alarming rate.

Thinking that here may be a parasite drain issue???

Could just buy a new dcam but wondering if this model has a fault that shows up with age.

Thnxs for any info/views
road ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:37 AM   #2

Do you have re-chargeables.. and if so,how old are they...? Maybe coming to the end of their life..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:50 PM   #3

since the camera uses AA batteries I would get a new set and use them to see if that helps. Most rechargeable only last 2 to 3 years before they start to die even with a full charge.

Hope this solves your problem.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:28 PM   #4
Default Possible "fix" for battery problems in Canon A-series cameras

I recently bought a like-new A590is, and within days it developed the same issue. I only got 20-25 pix on either alkalines or rechargables, even with the display off. I contacted the seller, and received half of the purchase price back.

I researched this issue ad nauseum, and saw many theories on blogs etc., and used some techniques they suggested, none of which worked.

I put in a description on a camera repair site, and asked for a quote. They replied that it was a system board issue, and would cost $87.50 to fix. This same issue is rampant in many models of Canons in the A-series in the last 3 years or so, it seems.

Today, I tried something on a lark. I thought that there may be a battery drainage problem due to one or both of the contact points in the battery door lid touching plastic that might be metalicized--my Fuji s6000 has this situation, but it only drains batteries left in for a couple of weeks, not minutes. I placed some very thin plastic material under both of those contacts, which not only insulated the contacts from the lid, but pushed them tighter onto the batteries. Believe it or not, the material I used was the flexible plastic that holds the plastic 24 oz. bottles of Pepsi together in a 6-pack!

Voila! I have taken 75 photos with flash and half with the display on, and a couple of short videos. And I have viewed those photos several times on the display, too. I used alkalines, and they are still working. When the flash went off, I heard a vigorous popping sound I hadn't heard before, too. Must be getting the power it craves now.

I haven't had time to test this "fix" extensively yet, sure hope it keeps working. It's a nice little camera, and has a viewfinder, which is impossible to find in a small pocketable camera these days. My nimh's are recharging now for the next phase of testing.
jazzleighe is offline   Reply With Quote