Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:02 PM   #1
Default picture quality...A80 vs S400 (IXUS)

I've recently done a bit of research on cameras ( yes, thats right - buying my first digicam) and ive narrowed my choices between the canon s50\ canon A80 and canon s400.

The main critaria is picture quality - that nice crisp, almost eatable image quality with detail retention in both highlights and shadows.
All within the midrange 4MP - 300/$400 bracket
I want a camera with manual settings so as to learn and expand my creativity (which relegates the s400 to the bottom of the shortlist)

from the pictures ive seen from varioius sites, i am stuck with the picture quality of the s400. wherever i looked the pictures always looked sharp and crisp, where as the a80 looked somewhat softer and the highlights always seemed to be blown out - something i didnt notice with the s400

the point that confuses me is the fact that (when regarding picture quality/ high resolution) the a80 is held in such high esteem buy users and expert reviewers! - the pics always looked to me like they LACKED sharpness compared to its rivals.

Now im not saying the a80 doesnt take quaility pictures, its just with the overriding positive opinion of the a80, i swear i must be missing something

what does everyone else think about this.

All experiences and opinions are more than welcome

thanx all

case is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 5:00 PM   #2

Sorry I don't have a suggestion for you. Instead I gonna say that i'm also waiting for any reply to your topic. I do some research on A80 and S400, and pretty feel the same way as you do for their photo quality.

Anyway, waiting for any advice on these 2 models.

a_oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:53 AM   #3

I have the A80 and the pictures all stunning! Quality is very high.
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:59 PM   #4

Hi! I have had Canon A80 for few weeks now, and im very pleased with canon's picture quality. I have opened photogallery in my new webpage so you can check then out! Few photos has been edited using Photoshop. http://www.kanetti.fi/~bache :roll:
Bache is offline   Reply With Quote