Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 25, 2004, 9:57 AM   #1
Default Fine compression vs. superfine compression

Hi, everyone!

I hope this is not too dumb a question, but I's really appreciate it if someone who understands these things could help me get up to speed. I recently bought a Canon PowerShot S400. I use it primarily for personal use (friends, vacation, parties, etc.), but also professoinally (I use it to document rashes, evidence of trauma/abuse, etc. for my patients' medical records). All of the photos for work are indoors, as are most of my recreational photos... for now, anyway - it's only in the teens/20's outside.
The largest prints I've made have been 5"x7". I use an HP Photosmart 7350 with HP photo paper (usu. matte) with the image quality settings cranked all the way up. For recreational shots, I'll use image editing software to correct colors, etc. For professional shots I try to take all photos under (as close as I can get to) standard conditions and do not use any image-editing for fear that it could be a legal issue.
Here's my question - What is the difference between the fine/superfine modes? I've taken similar pictures in both modes trying to see a difference. I cannot see any difference (on my LCD monitor or on paper), but superfine eats almost double the real estate on my CF card. Is there an advantage to superfine?

Patrick Adler
patadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 4:22 AM   #2

The difference is noticeable in minor details and the object contours. Try photographing grass and trees, and you'll see the difference.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote