Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:51 AM   #1
Default take realistic photo in dim light

I am new to the forum. I have recently bought a Powershot S100 and I would like to take very realistic photos in dim light, i.e. I would like the photo to reflect exactly what the light is and not compensate and make dark areas lighter.

Thank you,
gtoutounji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:55 PM   #2

The S100 is a fine little camera- and I'm sure will suffice in what you're trying to achieve.
Usually cameras- with their respective "dynamic range" enhancer, is actually TRYING to re-create what the eye sees,trying to put some detail into shadow areas, as opposed to just "black holes" as it were.
If the lightened dark areas are not to your taste, I'd suggest switching off the i-Contrast on the Canon. Also,using a tripod (or any firm surface handy) and selecting a suitable shutter speed for the low light situation should give a more natural result- either using Manual or Shutter priority.
You also have the option of using the "Handheld night scene" mode- which does a pretty decent job in low light situations. Here's an example or two...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:09 PM   #3

G'day all

Nicely put simon - gotcha in one

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:09 PM   #4

I keep the exposure compensation (+/-) set to the front dial that way I can underexpose on demand for night shots, I find I use about -1 stop on most night shots in program mode.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:55 PM   #5
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Here's what I was able to capture on my Canon S90 (Precursor to the S100).
Carnival Rides

I imagine the S100 should be able to do just as well or better. You can read the EXIF for the technical details.

I have also taken nice images with the S90 of people (family) in natural lit backgrounds by exposing for the background in manual mode and then turning the flash on at reduced output to balance the exposure for the foreground.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote