Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:31 AM   #1
Default Will the new S500 ( Ixus 500 ) be better than S50?

Does anyone know (by the details posted) if the new S500 is suppose to have better image quality than current Canon S50?

Thanks in advance
jorgemcsantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:30 PM   #2

I read that the s500 will be using the same imager as the g5 and s50 so the 'quality' of the image should be comparable. However, there are still no manual controls. i.e. Manually setting the shutter speed, which you are, by the way, able to do if the camera is tethered to your comp, should be somtheing that is controlled by the photographer. I just don't understand Canon and why they don't add this feature cameras functionality. Aperture too should be set in the camera (despite having only two settings) because in lower light situations, you just don't have a choice about the depth of field. You can, in essence control the shutter speed by locking the exposure and then playing with the EV, but that is a non-straightforward method, to something that should be concievably easy.

Again, the thing you have to keep in mind is that the s50's shooting settings can be manually adjusted, while the s500's cannot.

infiniteset is offline   Reply With Quote