Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 18, 2012, 2:03 PM   #1
Default PLEASE help a beginner!

I have bought a Canon Powershot SX150 IS camera. I am in NO WAY a photographer...well, not with any understanding of the lingo, so to speak. Although I do think I have a nice "eye" for shots

ALL I WANT TO DO is take quality action photos! Almost every photo I take is of the horses--doing stuff horses do But I get better shots out of my darn iPhone, than I can with this Canon! Everything is blurry, not to mention it's so slow to take a photo and I miss a lot of opportunities because of it. I promise, I have read the manual and will continue to do so, but there is so much information, I feel overwhelmed and confused.

If you have my camera and you're real savvy with it, I must ask: how would you set it up, if you were at a rodeo? That's just an example, but everyone can imagine the action involved. And is there a way to "speed up" the shooting process? Because for me it's like click--pause--pause--pause--okay, not you can shoot again. Why is it so slow?! The horse is at the end of the arena, by the time my camera will allow me to shoot again I disabled the automatic viewing of the photos and I thought that would help, but it did not really make much of a difference. I feel so discouraged and frustrated!

How is it possible that my iPhone will consistently produce superior photos than this camera?

Very lost
MeganAK2AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:08 PM   #2

The problem you may have with the "blurring" is too low a shutter speed.
Most "auto" modes don't yield enough shutter speeds for action- not even sports modes..!
You could try using Tv (shutter priority) and setting a minimum of 1/320th sec (more if you're in really good light) and use in tandem with Auto iso,which will "gain up" automatically to obtain correct exposure.
As for processing times- well,I'm afraid the SX150 is quite slow with regards processing times and there's very little you can do about it. You've made the right move in switching off the image review- maybe you could also use a faster SD card- a class 10 might help- though I'd be a little hesitant to purchase one as the SX150 is notoriously slow and you might be wasting some money..!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:45 PM   #3
Default Thank you

Simon--thank you for the response. I will try this and I hope that it helps! In regards to the slow processing...I should have read reviews before purchasing a camera, as I don't know if I can deal with this or not...might have to try and sell it for another figures. This has really bummed me out today.
MeganAK2AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:54 PM   #4

Megan, you may be able to return it. I just returned a Power Shot SX 500 IS that I was unhappy with, for a full refund. I had 30 days to return....
SharonC is offline   Reply With Quote