Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:11 PM   #1

Default Whats comparable to the A650IS

Whats the latest camera that is comparable to the A650IS with respect to it's Macro abilities.

Incidentally, I just repaired my A650, the display turned white if the screen was opened more than about 45 deg. I suspected a faulty connector or broken wire.

I gingerly stripped it down and discovered a broken wire, which I re-soldered and I'm now back to normal. I thought it strange the sleeving appeared 'clean cut', no stretch marks etc.

The LCD is connected to a pcb in the swivel unit, and there are two connectors with a load of thin black wires that connects to the cameras body, one bunch has blue connector the other yellow.... appreciate if anyone knows where to get hold of these connectors.

I wonder how many cameras have been 'binned' because of a broken wire, obviously the wires will fracture sooner or later with the movement.

If these A650 was still in production I 'just might' have ended up getting another one should I have made a 'dog's dinner'.

I repaired similar display faults in LCD TV's, usually the display, the interconnecting lead or the Tcon board itself....... but cameras is a different world and not for me - I like seeing the screws!!!

Dave
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:04 AM   #2

The A650IS was basically a cheaper version of the G9- though a very nice camera in it's own right- and the added bonus of the vari-angle LCD over the G9.
Its macro abilities partly comes down to it lens- starting at the "not so wide" 35mm,effectively getting you closer by default- never mind the 1cm close focus distance- and generally offers less distortion than its wide angled counterparts.
Canon's G11 and G12 still offers the Vari-angle LCD and the 1cm macro- though alas,the lens now starts at the equivalent 28mm.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:38 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Perhaps I should have explained.
80% of the time I'm taking flowers, mouths and butterflies. I don't want to be turning this and twisting that to get a picture.

When it comes to photography I'm no expert, certainly don't want be carrying a bagful of lenses.

Although I managed to repair the A650 I may still be in the market for getting a new one. Certainly got to be better, be it a tad better but not worse. The Vari-angle display I found useful from time to time but don't think it would be an issue, neither would be the power source as I got the A650 because of the standard batteries. Batteries have improved a lot I guess since the A650 came was produced.

I did say Canon, don't think that would be an issue either what make it was, just that I have a Cannon Scanner and a Cannon Printer.

One thing I found missing on Steve's reviews was close up test shots, am I missing them? Stretching the cameras ability kinda thing.

Thanks again for your time, Dave.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:45 AM   #4

If simplicity and ease of use is what you're after, maybe look at Canon's Ixus 510HS- which also has a 1cm close focus distance.
You won't be turning and twisting things on this little fella...!
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/compact-di...view-50008085/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5

Thanks will have a shufty now, cheers. Dave