Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:10 AM   #11

I've owned both. Here is a summary:

Pro of A80: Much more manual control, swiveling LCD.
Con of A80: Not small enough to be really a pocketable camera.

Pro of S400. Small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.
Con of S400: Very little manual control.

Con of both: Big redeye problems. This is the case of any small camera with built in flash.

I found out that there are always compromises. Neither is suitable for me for indoor flash use because of the red eye issues (yes, I know it can be fixed in post processing).

I decided to keep the S400 since it will be used for my take anywhere, drop it in a pocket camera. I liked the A80s features better, but it was still too big for that.

I'll be getting another camera for indoor flash use with a hot shoe and external flash.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:50 AM   #12

If size is really the issue here, perhaps you might consider a different brand like the Pentax Optio S4 or a Casio Exilim which are both smaller and lighter than the S400, which still weighs 8 ounces or so. I found that it was OK in my pants pocket but dragged my shirt pocket down because it is still 1/2 pound. Yes there are red eye issues when the flash is so close to the lens, but since most of the cameras have that to some extent it was not really a deal breaker since it can be so easily fixed. Just my 2 cents.
zerbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:44 AM   #13

Weigh out your situation, ask yourself what your taking pictures of, and how your going to take those pictures, would you like the capability of adjusting your aperature and shutter values, if so the a80 is a great camera. Then again the s400 body structure is designed really well, very simplistic camera, and it has a lithium ion battery pack which does last a considerable amount longer than AA batteries, lithium ion batteries are also replaced under performance guarantees at some retail stores (ie. Best Buy) this is nice since lithium batteries tend to last about a year or two, it can save you some money on the battery and the camera
Ironmaiden1 is offline   Reply With Quote