Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 28, 2013, 1:42 PM   #1

Default SX280 problem

I was about to purchase the SX280, having own a A650IS.... pity they couldn't put a x20 zoom lens on it, AAA batteries too now that would be grand, very grand and a good seller I guess.

The SX280 sorry to say as what I understand a firmeware problem, fine if you snap stills but not movies!

Apparently you get a low battery warning within about a minute of making movies, course you can ignore it and it'll carry on until the battery runs flat - but alas, no warning has its already alerting.... go to stills and the battery indicator behaves normally.

In the movie mode, it'll flash within the minute or two as said and you can carry on, the quirk is if you power OFF then back ON the battery meter is normal until..... about a minute or so after filming a movie.

Lets be clear there is no problem with stills, just on movies.

L-ion and Ni-cads do have one thing in common they both require three or for discharge recharging cycles before you are able to obtain full capacity.

This problem has nothing at all to do with capacity but aren't Canon a tad skimpy? A 700mA hour pack in this day and age.

Did Canon really test the SX280 before having it released? Seems a poor do on Canon side, they have yet to publicly announce this mind you. One site here in the UK are selling SX280 for 211 where normally its around 260 or so - a big difference, wouldn't be returns by any chance?

So I dunno, thought of giving the SX280 a miss, was looking at the Panasonic TZ40, not happy about the SX280 though.... sad to see Canon make gaffs like this.

Still waiting for reviews here, any idea when?

Dave
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2013, 4:24 PM   #2

If video's a big thing for you,maybe look at the Sony's also... which are pretty good in that department...

An SX280 review...
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...280_hs_review/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 5:36 PM   #3

No, videos not my main concern I could probably live with the problem, just that for the price they are asking I expect things to have been thoroughly tested before release.

What the firmware update involves, if that indeed is the problem, I've no idea, maybe something the user can do or may require a camera return.

Certainly been overlooked and not spotted by Canon leaving me to ask how well the camera has been put through the paces.

Guess, when all said and done it was designed as a camera after all, and the movie part is just a utility add on.

Dunno what to do now, the Panny TZ40 looks tempting, very tempting, love to see a side by side photo shoot out.

Dave
Old May 28, 2013, 6:21 PM   #4

To be honest- all compact high zoom camera's are compromised to a degree by design- not least optically (though Canon's balls up with the 280 is not acceptable...)- however- I'd always go with the Panny in these type of cameras- they're snappy performers,with good AF speeds and burst capture and are well put together....
If you can forgo the Wi-Fi I'd go with the now discounted TZ30...
Old May 29, 2013, 5:01 AM   #5

Yeah I've heard folks recommending the TZ30's only a day or two back, there's something about it.

I have Canon other stuff here and they work flawless, the only other gripe will take us off topic, when my IP5000 died (paper feed assembly errors - I checked all the microswitches I got the IP4950, my how the ink tanks have shrunk... sometimes you are waiting ages for to do the 'wasting ink' cleaning routine, sure ink is big business.

Looks like 'back to the drawing board' with the camera's, I dunno if I can trust reviews or not anymore because the ones I've read about the SX280 never ever mentioned battery level problem... why didn't they spot it, are they keeping hush?

The way I chose the A650 was to see what everyone was saying and then looked at the reviews, that's how I came to know about the SX280.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave
Old May 29, 2013, 4:48 PM   #6

Reviews are ok to a degree- but they could quite easily miss the video bug- as I'm guessing they wouldn't film lengthy clips of video- I may be wrong however.
I owned the SX240 (260 less GPS) and was a decent little camera and had no complaints at all- that said, I never used the video capture- so if that also had the bug, I'd have missed it..!!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7

Firmware update took care of that.
JoanMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:15 PM   #8

Sorry JoaMN, the firmware didn't do anything for my friends SX280, he applied the firmware update which made no difference so he went to the shop and got his money back, he was thinking of getting a Panasonic, which model I don't know.

On another forum folks have returned them to Canon and got them back just the same but with a different firmware version. Shortly after their release there were some 2nd hand ones on Ebay - say's a lot doesn't it?

Obviously Canon didn't put the SX280 through it's paces before release or they would have alleviated this problem and not had to introduce firmware updates - what went wrong Canon?

The more I think about it the more I go off Canon, they even skimp on the ink tanks in their printers now, mine sometimes takes well over a minute doing it's cleaning cycle, nothing like the ip5000 I had - the ink tanks a far smaller than the IP5000.

I'll give the SX280 a miss thanks and possibly in the printer department too!

Dave
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:32 AM   #9

You are right, Davy. I tried to do a video the other day, and the battery started flashing red right away. Yet the battery indicated full when I switched to pics. I love the sharp photos, but if one wants to do videos, I guess another camera is the answer.
JoanMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:21 AM   #10

JoanMn

The flashing indicator *may be* a faulty alarm which many have complained about, try powering it off then back to 'ON', this has been noted to cure the problem for a very brief period..... jus't what use is this?

Imagine you are about to get that one of a lifetime video clip..... the things starts to flash away, that is one of many reasons many folks are disgruntled.

One firmware fixed reduced the zooming current taken by the motor, this barely helped mind, whilst some complain of noisy zooming, yet another is the location of the pop-up flash.

I've come across no faults regarding the picture quality, I do feel Canon has a slight edge in that department.

I did mention somewhere if only they had stuck to 3 or 4 AA batteries, this would make the camera slightly bigger and provide more room for the hand grip as well as the flash itself.

Back to the drawing board Canon, a A650 would be nice with a x20 zoom now that would attract my attention - why didn't they?

Dave