Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:28 AM   #1
Default S400 vs Pentax S4? Or is there something better?

I am dying to get a camera but am floundering with ALL the choices! A friend has a Canon S400, keeps it in a camp soap box and loves it. I recently heard of the Pentax S4 that can fit in an altoids can!? Those are likely 2 of the many options. How do you decide? Some of the things I am looking for, if you could offer 2c of advice!?

Simple to use - not going to use different shutter speeds, etc. Just looking for a good point and shoot.

Want it to be able to do movies w/ sound - 30 seconds minimum?

Small, but does that make it more subject to the slightest wiggle /blurring when taking pictures?

Another friend that is big into photography said to look at cameras with at least 4 megapixel. We aren't expecting to blow things up more than 5x7 or 8 x 11 at the most, but it would be good to have that option.

Quality optics / durability - I've dropped our old point and shoot 35 mm and it's kept going. I personally don't like mechanical zoom - seems like another point of failure / chance for the lens to get out of alignment?

I've read the reviews for the S4 and S400 and can't decide. Am I missing something? Anything else a better choice?!
babganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links