Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 21, 2004, 3:25 PM   #1
Default Canon G5 now...Or Wait for S500

I am looking into getting a digital camera, I was deciding between the Canon G5, Sony DSC-V1, and the Nikon Coolpix 5400. I finally decided that the G5 was the way to go, but now I see that Canon is releasing the S500 in April. Do you think I should just get the G5 now, or wait to get the S500? Will the S500 be significantly better then the G5? Thanks
trev2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2004, 4:06 PM   #2

G5 and S500 are totally different cameras. With the other models you mention, I dont think you are looking at pocket size point and shoots like the S500.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 6:54 PM   #3

I actually have the same delimea. I'm looking at similiar cameras and am looking to go digital for the first time. I'm used to SLRs only and havn't had a point-in-shoot in about 15 years. I'm looking for something almost pocketable to pocketable that has manual features and takes excellent photos. I'm definitely purchasing the replacement for the 10D when it comes out so the camera I'm going to get now is going to be my small backup camera I carry with me, and to get myself acquaited with digital before I get a DSLR. The S500 is definitely a pocketable camera while the others are significantly larger. The S400 is going to be very comparable in size to the S500. I would recommend going to a camera store and taking a look at the V1 and the S400 and seeing the difference in size. The V1 is thick but you may be able to get it into a large pocket. Other cameras I am looking at include the Sony DSC-W1, The Casio EXILIM Pro EX-P600, and the Fujifilm finepix F710.
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 4:41 AM   #4

The Powershot S500 has the same CCD as the G5 but the camera is a lot smaller. I bought a S500 last week and have been playing with it. And I must say tha I realy love this camere. Small Camera, beautyfull photo's, fast and enough manual controls to make me beleive that I know somethigh about photography. I realy recomend it.

Mr. Barclay
Mr. Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote