Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:06 AM   #1
Default Comparison of F-stop on DSLR and Point-and-Shoot

Hi guys! Good day! I would like to ask if there is a difference between, say for example, a F1.8 lens on a DSLR and a F1.8 lens of a Point-and-Shoot. What I'm trying to say is that shooting the same subject with the same focal distance (for example 28mm), can they both produce an image with the same Depth of Field?

Actually I'm asking this since I am torn between G16, G1 X Mk II, and 700D (I think it's Rebel T5i).

As far as I know:

G16 has F1.8, 28mm, 1/1.7" lens and sensor size
G1 X Mk II has F2.0, 28mm, 1.5" lens and sensor size
700D has F2.8 central sensor, 1.6x focal length magnification for lenses and APS-C size sensor

I know the G-series may not much the image quality of a DSLR but its packed with features which is still not available in Canon DSLRs (probably because of the Digic 6). By looking on specs-wise, the G16's F1.8 beats the G1 X Mk II's F2.0, although my concern here is that the latter's sensor size is quite bigger (1.5"). Will this affect the Depth of Field of the image?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by vinjayz; Apr 15, 2014 at 5:08 AM. Reason: Specifications correction
vinjayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:53 AM   #2

Short answer - sensor size definitely affects depth of field. The smaller the sensor the larger the depth of field in practice.
Take a look here and you can see:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:12 PM   #3

Yep- all else being equal,sensor size affects depth of field to a huge extent...
That said- on fixed lens camera's there are other variables to take into consideration- such as minimum focus distances etc... and a camera with more zoom can give you some more latitude with creating a shallower depth of field- if that's what you're after...

Scroll down this page for an example of "other variables" on fixed lens cameras- all with different sensor sizes...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote