Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 31, 2014, 9:44 AM   #1

Default Canon SX50 Gallery Updates

Hello,

I've just updated my Canon SX50 gallery and wanted to share this link with you. This camera easily allows me to capture my favorite type of bird and wildlife photograph, which is portrait style. I hope you enjoy the photos! I've also updated my Canon SX50 Hints & Tips page, as well. I enjoy sharing strategies and techniques that might prove helpful to users of this camera. The information is not intended to be a definitive user's guide to this camera, just how I enjoying using it.

Canon SX50 Hints & Tips
https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/Othe...HS-Hints-Tips/

My main SX50 gallery:
https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/Other/Canon-SX50-HS/

If you have the time please visit my "Strictly For The Birds" gallery, which also features images from my Canon SX40 as well as a couple of older point-and-shoot cameras I've owned over the years. It's the gallery I'm most proud of. I hope you enjoy them!

https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/Othe...For-The-Birds/

Wishing you health & happiness and excellent photographs, of course!

Tony

Last edited by Tony Britton; May 15, 2016 at 10:36 PM.
Tony Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:40 AM   #2

Superb photo's Tony... showing the SX50 in a great light.... and your skills of course...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Superb photo's Tony... showing the SX50 in a great light.... and your skills of course...
Hi Simon40,

Thanks. Speaking of "great light," that's exactly what the SX50 thrives on. Plenty of great sunlight, that is! Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Tony
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:56 PM   #4

Great work, Tony. Is there a way to see the EXIF data from your photos? I'm trying to see what the focal length and aperture settings are. I haven't owned a superzoom in a number of years but the longest lenses that I currently own and could potentially use for birding would be my Pentax APS-C DA 55-300 (450mm equivalent at the long end) and my Panasonic micro four-thirds 100-300 (600mm equivalent at the long end). Somehow, I don't think even 600mm is going to do it for birding. Your thoughts and recommendations?

EDIT: I found the EXIF data. But your thoughts and recommendations are still welcome.

Last edited by Biro; Jun 3, 2014 at 5:59 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Great work, Tony. Is there a way to see the EXIF data from your photos? I'm trying to see what the focal length and aperture settings are. I haven't owned a superzoom in a number of years but the longest lenses that I currently own and could potentially use for birding would be my Pentax APS-C DA 55-300 (450mm equivalent at the long end) and my Panasonic micro four-thirds 100-300 (600mm equivalent at the long end). Somehow, I don't think even 600mm is going to do it for birding. Your thoughts and recommendations?

EDIT: I found the EXIF data. But your thoughts and recommendations are still welcome.
Hi Biro,

I've never owned a Dslr. I'm quite pleased with my SX50 because I use it in a very specific manner. I make an effort to find birding locations and subjects that typically allow me a very close proximity from which to shoot. I strongly favor portrait style bird & wildlife photography and therefore, I specifically use the massive zoom of this camera not in the traditional sense of bringing a very distant subject closer, but rather instead, I use the zoom to fill the frame with a very near subject. This strategy results in a huge difference in fine feather detail and overall image quality especially for a small sensor point-and-shoot.

I also shoot primarily "still" birds, going more for an "expression" or pose, rather than birds-in-flight, which is something I've not attempted or practiced much with this camera. I believe I'd still have a strong preference for "expression" or pose bird shots over birds-in-flight even if I owned a Dslr.

My SX50 does its finest work in bright sunlight, which allows me the opportunity to drive the settings in the direction I desire to produce images with deep, rich color & great detail. I can't remember the last time I used an ISO over 200. To keep noise levels down on these point-and-shoots I try to stay between ISO 80 & 100.

Anyway, while I can't expect a point-and-shoot to do everything well, it consistently gives me what I desire most; a portrait style nature photograph that rarely ever requires cropping. I'm just not sure if or when a replacement for the SX50, perhaps the SX60?, will appear.

I hope some of this helps!

Tony

http://www.tonybritton.smugmug.com/
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:21 PM   #6

Tony- always a good idea to keep the iso down as you suggest.... though the 12mp Canons have a little more latitude than most...
This shot was taken at iso 1000 with the older SX40hs.
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:16 PM   #7

Tony,

What an impressive collection of galleries. I am extremely impressed to a point that I actually bought a SX50HS. It should be delivered to the house sometime tomorrow. I think it is a handy camera which may fill my needs for traveling as well as birding use.

Michael
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Tony,

What an impressive collection of galleries. I am extremely impressed to a point that I actually bought a SX50HS. It should be delivered to the house sometime tomorrow. I think it is a handy camera which may fill my needs for traveling as well as birding use.

Michael
Hello Michael,

Thanks for you kind words and congratulations on your new purchase. This camera easily meets my particular needs and desires, which is mainly capturing portrait style images of birds & wildlife whenever possible.

Best of luck with the SX50 and Happy Holidays.

Tony
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:47 AM   #9

Tony,

I got my SX50 HS for a few days but was unable to do much because the fouled weather we experienced here in my part of California. Anyway, I finally had a chance in the last couple of days in between rain to go out to shoot a few pictures. The light meter system seems to be good and accurate and performs well for landscape pictures. As for wildlife, I do need to practice to be able to get used to the long zoom. As far so good!

Michael
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:49 AM   #10

There is more!
Attached Images