Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:03 AM   #1
Default Waiting for G8 instead of Pro1

Am looking for a place to post my thoughts.
Since 2,5 year I am using the Canon Powershot G1, but it's getting old, after about 10.000 shots. It has lost some accuracy on colours, focussing and white balance. Nevertheless, it's still a camera that I cherish, it can fit into a pocket, has its flip around lcd for shooting from any position and its lens is very good for indoor shots in low-light conditions (F 2.0-2.5). Especially the big aperture seems to vanish nowadays in high end prosumer camera's, in favour of more zoom, which makes the camera bulkier. So it won't be the Pro1!Therefore I hope Canon will develop a G8 (or whatever) that
- isn't bigger than G1/G2 (not necessarily more than 3x zoom)
- has, of course, its flip around lcd screen, pref. 2" and all the other features that made the G camera's popular
- has a max 1.8 or 2.0 aperture or even better
- has some extra capability on noise reduction on higher ISO settings
- is responsive (e.g. 1 second on startup and max. 1 second per shot)
- has excellent focusing capabilities in low light
- has the 8 mp chip, which also will allow for digital zooming without quality loss at lower mp settings.
At the moment, there is no camera like this one on the market and I hope Canon will fill the gap, keeping the G series alive and :idea: unbeatable. What do you think? Would it be realistic to wait for?
vantijgeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:51 PM   #2

vantijgeren, now you've peaked my interest. I have a G2 and was looking at the G5. I've been surfing for the G8 but didn't see too much information.

Reading what you wrote, I'm not seeing too much improvement over the G5 - which is a terrific digicam.

What is the pic size? Is it more than 4 meg? I'd like a 6 meg+++ and want to stay with Canon because I like their opticals.

My real WANT is a Rebel with a swivel lens.

JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote