Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 27, 2004, 9:05 PM   #11

I have looked at quite a few cameras in the same range as the G3 and G5 and none seems to offer as much as the G3. I had considered upgrading to the G5 but am very happy with the results from the G3 and people are always commenting on what great clear photos the camera can produce.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:48 AM   #12

I was out this past weekend shooting the spring flowers in North Dallas. I took my G5 instead of carrying around the big SLR outfit. Here are some images I took with it. Out of this set, I encountered Purple Fringing in the upper right-hand corner of the shot with the Mansion and Tulips and in the image of the hillside of flowers, which I had not corrected before posting this downsized version online. I corrected the Mansion picture in Photoshop prior to posting it. All the others had no signs of PF.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 4:52 PM   #13

Here's another G5 gallery for your consideration.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:50 PM   #14

I supouse the only diference betwen G5 and G3 it is 1 mega and the black body (G5).
I have the G3 and I love it!
kloncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 6:40 AM   #15

If the G3 has been discontinued, how much longer is the G5
likely to be available (new)?

Do people think it likely that Canon will (directly) replace it,
and if so, what features/properties is the replacement
likely to have (or what would you wish it to have)?

Thank you.
Montmorency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:06 AM   #16

I bought a G3 just as the G5 was taking over. Paid 375 for mine.
At first I wasn't sure about the silver finish but I have managed to get past that now. The pictures it delivers are absolutely fantastic!

This is going to cause some comments - I think the G3 meters better than my 10D does! Every shot out of the G3 has been spot on whereas I sometimes get over-exposed shots out of the 10D. Go figure!

4meg vs 5meg? Does it really matter? I was printing up to A4 size with a D30 and 3meg images. Looked fine too! Haven't done much printing of late and nothing out of the G3 :-(

Downside to both the G3 and the G5 is that optical viewfinder - absolute abortion! How they ever managed to pass the design I'll never understand.

Top and bottom - G5 reports go a lot on the purple fringing business, but you don't hear so much of it from the G3 owners. Find yourself a G3 at a bargain price and enjoy!

Fadinglight is offline   Reply With Quote