Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 10, 2004, 1:18 PM   #1
Default Don't lose it Steve!!

This is from Steve's review of the S500:

And it allows the S500 to record full motion video in QVGA resolution up to 3 minutes in length with sound at 320x240 and up to 30 seconds with sound at 640x480. Not the equal of a video camcorder but three minutes is considerably longer than the 30-second movies created by many other digicams.
Come on Steve! A *lot* of cameras released during the past year had *unlimited* QVGA (320x240) mode at 25+ fps. Some even managed unlimited 25+ fps recording at VGA (640x480)! Whereas the S500 is limited at QVGA to 3 minutes at 15 fps, and at VGA to 30 seconds at only 10 fps!! This should be reported as a pretty major drawback of the S500, but it's listed as a strength! Heck, by now we should be demanding unlimited 25+fps VGA mode from every camera, with MPEG-4 compression! (OK, maybe that was pushing it, but check the latest Samsung announcements.)

The 1.5" LCD also gets good comments, but it's starting to look tiny compared to the competition.

Please don't get me wrong, I absolutely love your reviews for both quality and quantity (i.e. many different cameras reviewed). But let's keep the pressure on the camera makers by showing the disadvantages too!
nicke2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links