Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 29, 2002, 11:22 PM   #1
Default Depth of Field...

Hello all...I'm a proud yet frustrated new owner of an A40. Very happy with my results, though I'm having a bear of a time trying to shorten the depth of field for portrait shots. I've tried numerous aperture/shutter combinations and shooting modes, but to no avail. I just received the camera two weeks ago and did not need the firmware patch, and find it very ironic that I have a different focusing problem: too much focus and depth of field. Any suggestions?? I want BLUR!!!
Stevewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2002, 10:22 PM   #2

You are facing one of the changes going from 35mm to digital cameras. Digi cams with small focal lengths are very hard if not impossible to shorten the DOF. I think if you look around the site you will find the technical reasons. I recently bought a Minolta D7i. I have been using Digital cameras for over 5yrs and this is the first digicam I have owned that made bluring the backround pretty easy.

Hopefully some other S40 owners might be able to get you some tricks.
eshropshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 8:42 AM   #3

If the camera that you own doesn't not have the manual control mode or the aperture priority mode, you may be out of luck when trying to blur out the background, plus most of the compact digicams, their maximum aperture are about 5.6 and smaller, to do what you want to do, you need a lens with a faster aperture such as F/2.8 or larger, sometimes F/4.0 is probably do a good job as well. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 12:04 PM   #4

About the only thing you can do with the A40 is zoom to maximum telephoto and get as close to the subject as possible.
One way to blur part of the background would be to use a filter that has a blurred edge and clear central spot (you need the Canon lens adapter ring to attach the filter).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote