Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 5, 2004, 1:51 AM   #1
Default A80 WIA or TWAIN driver?

I find out that Canon A80 use PTP protocol, and I can use only software from Canon to transfer picture from Canon to PC, But, I am interesting if there are some driver witch allow me to transfer any file from PC to Canon's CF card. I meen: when I connect A80 on USB I need to find out a "new drive" on Windows explorer.
I find on internet som WIA or TWAIN driver for Canon, but I do not know if it is something what I need.
ajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:13 AM   #2

I just bought a Canon A75 (especially for underwater use) and have the same question. I don't want to use the Canon software; I'd like to configure the camera CF card as an USB disk drive. Though I don't think this is possible... I also own a HP 850 and you can switch the USB behavior in one of the camera menu's. I didn't see anything like this in any of the Canon menus.
Maybe the best solution is to buy a card reader!

By the way, I think the WIA driver is for Windows ME only.
johnvanhulst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 2:44 AM   #3

If you don't want to use the Canon's software, you can download a driver from the Canon's website, and it will do the job. Just make sure you get the right one for your operating system. I think, Win98 and Win2000 use TWAIN, WinME and WinXP use WIA. As far as I know in XP you can go without one as it has in-built means to work with the PTP protocol. I think, you can also find these drivers on the Canon Software CD, so you don't really need to download anything - run the CD and choose to install the driver only.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote