Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Default Canon G5--purple halos on reflective surfaces

Hello everyone! I just took the plunge and bought my first digital camera (Canon G5). It isn't the Digital SLR (10D) that I dream about (due to a limited budget) but I managed to pick it up for around $420.00 USD. I'm very pleased with the manual functions of the camera but not as pleased with the results of the photos I took. I only shot around 50 photos fresh out of the box but I noticed purple fringing on at lest 5-6 of the photos I took.

If I knew how to post a photo on here I would, but what I am experiencing is a purple halo around reflective surfaces of the photos I'm taking. For example: a purple halo around the china sitting on a dinning room table.

Is this effect to be expected of a digital point and shoot?

I know the digital point and shoot is not going to come close to my film SLR with prime lenses but the purple halos and fringing I'm experiencing is very obvious.

Is there a way I can elimiinate or minimize this effect of the Canon G5?

I don't want to turn this into a what camera should I buy post since my main question is how I can eliminate this phenomena but is there a 4 or 5 megapixel camera with some manual controls that exhibits this effect much less (for under $450.00).

Thanks in advance for your help

KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:08 PM   #2

By using a smaller aperture you can almost eliminate the problem. Then, of course, you might get a lighting problem instead. So, in the end you could be forced to use long exposure and a tripod.

Jeppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:54 PM   #3

You will find that many high megapixel cameras exhibit this problem. This is caused by the reduction in size of the CMOS or CCD sensor along with the increase in resolution. ALL of the 8 megapixel cameras with the Sony 2/3" CCD exhibit this problem.
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote