Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 26, 2004, 8:46 AM   #1

Default Canon S1 IS vs Minolta Z2 ????

Have been looking at these cameras over the last little while and need some help in deciding. Z2 has a little more pixels, but S1 has IS.
rmw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:22 PM   #2

I have the same problem deciding among Canon S1, Minolta Z2 and new Olympus C-770 !!!!!!

3 or 4 Mp? MPEG4 or .MOV videos? Hot shoe or not? $400 or $600? Is it worth the difference for an amateur? Metal or plastic body? Why can't they put all things together in all cameras so we can campare properly?

P.S.: Excuse my poor english ops:
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:10 PM   #3

Default Re: Canon S1 IS vs Minolta Z2 ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw88
Have been looking at these cameras over the last little while and need some help in deciding. Z2 has a little more pixels, but S1 has IS.
I Had the same broblem, but when I tested these two suckers .
The winner was clearly Canon ...well today I received my camera from the dealer and maaaaaaaaan....It is sooooooo sweeet
jorepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 4:57 PM   #4

I chose the S1 over the Z2 for a couple of reasons -

1) I had an investiment in CF cards already which the S1 uses
2) I liked the feel of the S1
3) The movie mode is very good on the S1

The image does freeze on the S1 when focusing which can be annoying, but you can use manual focus if shots are more than 10-12 feet away and there is no image freeze to speak of. I can't say the auto focus is that much slower than the Z2, but the image freezing on the viewfinder can make it seem like an eternity

The LCD on the S1 is a bit small, but the fact that it can pivot has that 'cool factor' going for it.

I am fairly happy with my S1 for the week or so that I have had and used it. Just be sure to get familiar with the manual settings to get the best results. I like to shoot in ISO 50 unless absolutely necessary as this greatly reduces the noise.
eflyersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:12 PM   #5

I agree completly the canon is the way to go, i just got it. Even though it has 3.2mp it is not very easy to notice and the IS on a cheaper camera is amazing. The movie mode is one of the best ive seen, hust like a video camera. Metal or plastic does not a make a huge difference seeing that if you drop it from high enough that it would cause the plastic to break the camera would probably break even if it was metal.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:23 PM   #6

:-)I agreed, the Canon S1 IS is a better choice, the other may have a bigger MP, but 3.2mp is good for everyday average taking. The features and quality of the pictures are better than others. Thanks.
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote