Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:21 PM   #1
Default A80 very noisy? Good for clubs?

Hey guys,
Looking for a camera that'd be good for taking pics in clubs and was thikning of the A80? Lots of cameras have big noise problems with dark shots so wondering if this does too?

Also want creative control and at least 3MP. Would prefer more zoom but ya can buy other lenses can't you?

If A80 is no good can anyone recommend another camera around the same price?
hackphotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2004, 1:33 PM   #2

I'm afraid you are looking for a camera that doesn't yet exist, nor will it probably for quite a while, if it ever does at all.

The A80's lens isn't fast enough for that type work unless you jack the ISO up, which will be quite noisy & still won't give you fast enough shutter speeds to stop even the slightest motion because, again, the lens is too slow. Nothing in that same price range is going to be better for the same reasons. You need to find a camera with a constant F2.8 zoom that has a pretty good size zoom range (unless you have first row seats all the time). Once again, any digicam with the small sensors at higher ISO's is still going to be quite noisy even with a faster lens. If you want to get into that type work and want something decent to show for it you need a Digital SLR with at least a 70-200 f2.8 lens, or something like a 100mm f2 if you want a really fast lens. All of which blows your budget completely out of the water.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 8:28 AM   #3

I recommend a digital elph (SD110) for what you're talking. Put it in your pocket and it takes amazing shots at a much lower cost. I tested the A80 and it took all of 5 minutes to realize I had better options.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 10:12 AM   #4

the OP said he wanted creative control. If I'm not mistaken the 110 is a good camera but you lose a lot of control when you get it.

rizorith is offline   Reply With Quote