Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 4, 2004, 4:47 PM   #1

A friend recently gave me a Digital Ixus 300 (I know you're allsaying 'Wow some gift!' but its not the case - read on), but theres a problem. He said the screen didn't work. and there was no driver disc or video or usb Leadsor manual,but I used my usb lead to work it. He did give me the charger and two L-ions for it.Before I go anyfurther I'll add that I'm buying a Fuji A 205 s on a 'Lay By' from one of those 'Cash Generator' stores paying weekly. I downloaded a manual for the 205 so I could bone up on it before I got the camera itself. Now the Fuji manual has a warning about Broken LCD screens saying seek medical attention i the LCD gets into contact with skin eyes etc (Induce vomiting and trot off to emergency if swallowed). I'm not belittling this. When taking a shot the Blank LCD backlights revealing an intact but badlyshattered glass screen behind the plastic one, displaying a few white areas at the top and a few white 'dead pixels'. There's no liquid coming out of the camera, though I must admit to feeling an irritation around the eye I placed the viewfinder to, and my brother in law when asked said there was a slight redness which disappeared when I stopped using it.

Now my friend paid £400 ukp for the camera ($720) new a few years back, and was quoted the same figure to have a new LCD fitted. This I think is scoutrageous. A Google search on broken LCD screens showed up nothing of any use ( for example pages of cameras with LCD screens and a broken links link). Canon Europe haven't responded yet (only got itSunday night andMayday Public Holiday was yesterday).

So my questions are this.

1) How safe is it to use the camera?

2) It's very well built yet how come the LCD cracked? Could it be to severe temperature or will it have been dropped? Are ctracking LCD screens an issue with Canon?

3) How much will it cost for a replacement LCD in UKP (£'s) and who in the UK can do it (canon excepted), does it have to be a Canon screen or can a cheaper screen be fitted?

4) Just to be on the safe side, with what should i wipe the camera over with (in case theres LCD residue on the case)?

5) I've no Canon download software, just the driver off Canon Europe's website. When I hook the camera up I get a message saying 'The Application associtated with this event could not be launched.' (Obviously as I haven't the cannon browser installed to download them).

6) How do I get a copy of the manual (Canon Europe don't have downloadable ones, you have toBUY (what a cheek!) them)?Are they on the US website.

7) How long will it take for Canon europe to reply to my e-mail? Does anyone have any experience of this?

8) What video out cable is included with the camera> Is it standard? If I buy onefom a Computer Show (we call them 'Computer Fairs' here in the UK) what generic lead do I ask for? Also, can I hook it up to a TV with a video lead to view the menu's to set it with?

Your guidance on this matter is very much appreciated.

callancool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:57 PM   #2

Hey i found this site that is great on how to change a LCD for the camera

dcr1105 is offline   Reply With Quote